Buddham Sharanam Gachhami….
These melodic chants of Mantra makes one forget their all worries, anxieties, stress and all tribulations. You will find yourself in the divine world of spirituality. The divine aura of prayers amidst the calm and peaceful environment of the Buddhist pilgrimage sites are the best places that one can visit during their India Tours.
India is the land where Buddhism originated and it is the land where Buddha walked and preached his people. If you are looking for the places where you can sit down with peace and want to calm down than Buddhist Circuit are the best places for you.
India and Buddhism
The land of different culture and traditions and the house of various religions India, treats its’ all religion with equal respect and honor. If we peak into the past of Buddhism, we see a prince name Siddharth Gautam the only and pampered son of a king and he was just like any other regular boy. He was raised in all luxuries and extravagance that has never seen any pain, sorrow or death. Once he went to roam around a city with his maid and on his way to home he saw some people were taking corpse according to Hindu culture. He asked about that ritual and came to know about the death and pain.
That was the turning point in his life which changed everything and his way of seeing the life. He left everything behind and starts his search for the meaning of life and God. Once on his search he sat under a tree for whole night concentrating on a single point and in morning when he left is dhyan he found himself in the position of enlightenment. The Rest is the history.
Prominent Buddhist Places
- Monasteries of Leh
Let us start your Tourism in India with the place that has witnessed the origins of Buddhism. It is this place Gaya, where Gautam Buddha sat under that tree and attainted the position of enlightenment. That tree of Peepal is still standing there (according to the locals it is that same old tree) under which Siddharth became Buddha.
What to Look in Gaya
1. The Maha Bodhi Temple is the major Gaya attraction where the offspring of the peepal tree under which Buddha attain enlightenment.
2. Chaukramama or Jewel Walk – an important place where Buddha used to come for wandering.
3. You will cherish the beautiful city of Gaya from the banks of River Phalgu.
4. There are number of monasteries constructed by Buddhist of Japan, Thailand, Myanmar and Sri Lanka.
Sarnath is the second most important place that you can visit during your visit to best Buddhist places. When you will be on your North India Tours, you will visit this historically important place that is approximately 11 km from the holy town of Varanasi. Sarnath is also important in term of Buddhist history because it is this place where Buddha after attaining enlightenment came and delivers his first sermon of wisdom.
What to Look in Sarnath
1. The Stupa of Sarnath is its major attraction. These Stupas were constructed by Emperor Ashoka in 3rd century B.C.
2. Chaukhandi Stupa is the monument which is believed as the first monument built by Ashoka after he came here.
3. Dhamek Stupa is the place where Buddha thought the four noble truths.
The 3rd most important place in terms of Buddhism mythology is Kushinagar. It is this place of Gorakhpur only which is believed to be the place where Gautam Buddha attained ‘Mahanirvana’ that is called the highest stage of Salvation. In 1861 many stupas were excavated which today are the major tourist attraction.
What to Look in Kushinagar
1. The Ramabhar Stupa, a major attraction where the mortal adobe of Gautam Buddha was cremated.
2. Visit the Mahanirvana Temple where a huge Buddha statue is kept in lying position.
3. Some other major attractions of Kushinagar are Mathakuar temple, Watt Thai temple and a Japanese Temple.
4. Monasteries of Leh – Jammu and Kashmir
The major influence of Buddhism can be seen in the region of Leh and Ladakh in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. You can easily see the influence of Buddhism in its ancient monuments, monasteries, oral literature, art form, fairs and festivals. You can experience the taste of folk dance, music and feast in every prominent occasion on Ladakh.
Major Buddhist Attractions
- Hemis Monastery
- Shey Monastery
- Thiksey Monastery
- Diskit Monastery
Also Read: 6 Best Things to Do In Jammu and Kashmir
Whenever we talk about a place which is having a dominance of Buddhism in India, it is the name of Sikkim that comes first. In your Tour Package In India, you will see many places but a place like Sikkim will be an unforgettable experience. Natural sceneries, beautiful ranges of mountains capped with clouds and plush green trees when blend with the holy chanting of Mantras, it would be the best thing one can ever experience.
What to Look in Sikkim
1. There are more than 200 monasteries that belong to Nyigma and Kagyu.
2. The major and famous monasteries of Sikkim are –
- Sanga Chelling
- Very famous Rumtek Monastery is just to name a few
The concept of Buddhism is vast and unending, one never get to its start or its beginning. These meditation centers and monasteries are the place which will guide you and teach you about the about this wonderful religion along with the techniques of Mediation, Yoga and Good preaches.
Here Are the Lists of Remaining Places Which Can Opt While You Will Be on Travel to India –
- Himachal Pradesh – Nalanda
- Bihar – Vaishali
- Madhya Pradesh – SachniStupa
- Maharashtra – Ajanta and Ellora Caves.
- Andhra Pradesh – Amaravati
- Odisha – Udaygiri, Lalitgiri