Read More on Abbey Falls
The initial name for Abbey Falls was Jessy Falls. The first reverend British explored the Abbey Fall and was mesmerized by its beauty. He was the one who gave the Abbey Falls its initial name, he named it after his daughter. The falls as well as the area surrounding them came under the control of the Government, post-independence. The area was then purchased by Mr. Neravanda B. Nanaiah and he decided to transform it from a natural forest to a well-cultivated farm with well-planned plantations of coffee and various spices. The fun fact here is that the falls are located on a private property yet they are visited by people around India.
- Enjoy the breathtaking view and take a picture of the surroundings because you won’t find it everywhere.
- If you are a photography lover then this place is the one for you to test your skills. Bring your camera along with you and capture the beauty through your lens.
- Enjoy strolling through the coffee and spice plantations around Abbey Falls. You may even inhale the fragrance of cardamon in the air while visiting the spice plantations.
- Trekking and Hiking are an activity one must actively participate in while they are on their way to the Abbey falls Coorg. It is a 15-minute trek.
Tips for visiting
- If you plan on visiting the place during the rainy season remember that the steps will be slippery and there may be insects too. So just be careful with your step.
- If you want to reach the bottom of the falls you must be very cautious because you will have to use the stairs. Remember to stay away from the falls as bathing or even taking a dip in the water is prohibited.
- Do not litter around as the area is really beautiful and clean. Use dustbins to throw waste and if you can’t spot one take it along with you and dispose of the wastewater.
- Carry a water bottle with you and some packaged food because you may find stalls for tea and coffee but you will have to drive a certain distance to be able to dine at a restaurant.
- Do not pluck flowers or cause harm to nature that surrounds the Abbey Fall Coorg.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit the Abbey Falls is during the monsoon season. This is the time when the area around the falls becomes picturesque. The preferred months to visit this place are July to October. During monsoons, the roads may be slippery and thus one needs to be cautious. The summers are quite pleasant and the temperature is bearable making summers a good time to explore Coorg.
- Omkareshwara Temple: It is a temple that is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The architecture of the temple will make you fall in love with it. It is built along the lines of Islamic and Gothic architectural styles. It is a very serene place.
- Raja’s Tomb: It is a well-known tourist spot that possesses the mortal remains of the royal Kodavas. The tomb has an idol of Lord Shiva and if you want to see a structure that is built according to the Indo-Saracenic architectural style then this is the one.
- Galibeedu Trek: This is the trek for adventure lovers as it is surrounded by nature on all sides. The trail possesses picturesque mountains, coffee plantations, and dense greenery.
- Namdroling Monastery: It is considered to be one the largest teaching center of the academy of Tibetan Buddhism and is often referred to as the golden temple.
Nearby market/ shopping places
There is no market near Abbey Falls so if you want to explore the markets then you will have to go to the Madikeri district. Once in Madikeri, one must visit the Friday Market and the Flea Market as these markets are of really good quality products like honey, chocolates, various spices, and even traditional artifacts.
- Heritage Resort Coorg- On the hills of Galibeedu. The 4-star property is a heritage resort in Coorg. It has spacious and thoughtfully decorated rooms that offer A-class amenities and also has a huge swimming pool.
- Palm Era Resorts- Offers a unique vacation and experience. It is a budget-friendly property that has rustic cottages which offer a raw experience. The property is a perfect place for those looking for an escape from the hustle and bustle of the city.
- Maxima Resort- A property that rests in the laps of nature. This resort is an oasis of serenity where one can spend some relaxing time. The rooms are beautiful and simple yet elegant.
- Green Vista Homestay- This homestay offers a view that is easy on the eyes. This homestay provides its guests with bedrooms and is a perfect fit for couples and families who are planning a trip to Coorg. This place does offer all kinds of amenities.
- Nearby Market/Shopping Places:
- There is no market near Abbey Falls so if you want to explore the markets then you will have to go to the Madikeri district. Once in Madikeri, one must visit the Friday Market and the Flea Market as these markets are of really good quality products like honey, chocolates, various spices, and even traditional artifacts.