Read More on Albert Hall Museum
Samuel Swinton Jacob was the main designer of the Albert Hall Museum and he was assisted by Mir Tujumool Hoosein. The building of the museum was built in 1876 as a town hall. Because of the similarity of the architecture with the Victoria and Albert Museum of London, the museum got its name, Albert. This museum was initially planned to be a town hall by the Maharaja Ram Singh. Later on, the next Maharaja Madho Singh decided that this building should be a museum for the art of Jaipur. Once being declared as a museum the building was being used for showcasing the works of local artisans.
Around the year 1881, the museum became famous all over India and people from across the country used to visit in search of some great artwork or handicrafts. The museum even became famous in England also. Museums have always been the place that attracts history enthusiasts. People who admire ancient artifacts or any other thing that they can relate with the past, love to spend time in museums.
Indo-Saracenic architecture and exclusive stone ornamentation provide a magnificent look to the museum. The museum from its early days was famous for its architectural wizardry. Numerous Mural and Persian paintings can be seen on both sides of the corridors of the museum with many other paintings. Various ancient civilizations like Greek and Babylonian are expressed on the mural paintings.
- A total of 16 galleries are available inside the museum. These various galleries showcase a variety of things such as metal art, pottery, sculptures, and clay works.
- An Egyptian mummy remains the main attraction for the visitors.
- A miniature painting of Mewar is also quite famous among visitors.
- The 19th-century Japanese dolls also catch the eye, especially of the young visitors. Royal jewels and priceless antiques are also present. For those who love history, this museum is nothing short of Mecca for them.
Tips for visiting
- Various ancient metal arts are also worth seeing.
- Those who fantasize about wars and battles must see the arms and armor gallery.
- Rules of the museum must be followed and do not create noise by maintaining decency.
- On Rajasthan Day, World Heritage Day, World Museum Day, and World Tourism Day entry into the museum is free.
Best time to visit
The only advice is to visit the museum in your free time, then only you can truly experience the art present there. You can visit this during evening time as the Albert Hall lights up beautifully in various colorful lights.
- Nahargarh Fort
- World Trade Park
- Jal Mahal
- Amer Fort
- Hawa Mahal
Nearby market/ shopping places
- Hotel Aone Rooms
- Hotel Classic Inn
- Hotel Metro Inn
- Radisson Blu Jaipur
Interesting Facts About Albert Hall Museum
- The Albert Hall museum Jaipur was initially constructed for being used as a town hall. Later on, it was changed to be used as a museum.
- A total of 16 galleries are present in the museum.
- Students can enter for free between 10 A.M- 12 P.M.
- Entry into the museum is free on Rajasthan Day, World Heritage Day, World Museum Day, and World Tourism Day.