Read More on Dhamma Chakra Stupa
Dhamma Chakra Stupa history is worth enlightening oneself with. Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar in 1935 declared that he wanted an out from the cast system that was deeply instilled in the mind of Indians. To abandon this system he studied all the major religions thoroughly and then choose to opt for Buddhism. His followers followed him without raising questions and walked down the lane of Buddhism.
The 14th of October is a celebratory day for Buddhists as Ashoka Vijaya Dashmi is observed, it is the day when Maurya dynasty ruler Ashoka the great converted himself and decided to preach Buddhism. On this very day, Dr. Ambedkar and his beloved wife took the oath of Buddhism, the oath of “Three Jewels, Five Percepts and 22 vows” in front of his followers. This gave rise to the Neo Buddhist movement.
After the demise of Dr. Ambedkar, Buddhism spread like wildfire and millions of people volunteered to be a part of the Buddhist sect. The committee that takes care of the maintenance and management of the Dhamma Chakra Stupa was formed after the great personality and was named Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Memorial Committee.
Sheo Dan Mal was the mind behind the construction of the divine structure. The first stone was laid in July of 1978 and it took years to complete the structure. The gates were opened for the public in December of 2001.
Once you lay eyes on this stupa you will realize that it is similar to the stupa of Sanchi. A unique feature of the stupa is that the dome is completely hollow from the inside. The ground floor consists of a huge square hall with an idol of Lord Buddha placed in the middle. The hollow dome above the hall is encircled by a veranda. Fountains are adding to the beauty of the stupa. The flooring of the stupa is done using marble from Dhaulpur. The four doors in the stupa open in huge arcs which are festooned with Ashoka Chakra followed by miniature statues of animals like lions, elephants, and horses. The tiny details here and there with miniature artwork give the dome a very rustic and raw look. The idols of Dr. Ambedkar and Buddha are placed in front of the stupa.
Dhamma Chakra Stupa has a Bodhi Tree placed beside the Vihara. A bronze statue of Buddha is seated in the Buddha Vihara. The bhikkhus can live there. The Bodhi tree that is found at Deekshabhoomi was planted using branches from the Bodhi Tree in Anuradhapuram. Bhadant Anand Kausalyayan was the one who thought of bringing these branches to India from Sri Lanka.
- The visitors can take a stroll around the complex and click pictures.
- Tourists can take part in the prayers and even sit down to meditate in the huge hall.
- People can visit the well-maintained garden named Ram Dham which is 2 km from Dhamma Chakra Stupa.
- Visitors who have enough time can visit Ambarazi Lake, Maharaj Baugh, and many nearby tourists attractions.
- One can also speak to people around them and get to know more about the place.
Tips for visiting
- Wear comfortable and appropriate clothes, and shoes.
- Take care of your belongings.
- Do not litter around the premises.
- Do not cause any kind of disturbance in the prayer hall.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit the Dhamma Chakra Stupa is from November to February, i.e, the season of winter. You can also visit the place during Buddhist festivals to witness how they celebrate.
- Sai Baba Temple
- Maharaj Bagh and Zoo
- Ambazari Lake
- Zero Mile Marker
- Futala Lake
- Krazy Castle Aqua Park
Nearby market/ shopping places
- Bardi Market Nagpur:
- This is the place for you if you are looking for quantity and are not too specific about the quality. One can get almost everything here from bangles, footwear to electronics, all you have to do is look for it. This is a place where you will find a lot of locals and tourists as it is one of the cheapest markets.
- Gandhibagh market aka Nagpur Santra market:
- This market is heaven for orange lovers as it offers a variety of oranges from which the buyers can choose. You may easily find an orange that may be tricky to find elsewhere in India. In this market, you may also find the finest quality fabric and a plethora of options to choose from. Go around the market see the options available and then choose the one you like the most.
- Dharmapeth Shopping street:
- If you are looking forward to purchasing jewelry then this is the place for you. Here you will get a variety of jewelry to choose the right one from. To keep yourself updated with the latest designs you must visit this place who knows you may end up purchasing a few.
- Hotel Hardeo
- Orange Tree Hotels
- Regenta Central Hotel & Convention Centre
- Hotel Orient Taibah
- Hotel Yatri
- Hotel President
Interesting Facts About Dhamma Chakra Stupa
- The idol of Buddha placed inside the dome was made by a Thai student and he decided to donate it to Dhamma Chakra Stupa Nagpur.
- The Stupa is built at a place where Dr. BR Ambedkar walked down the path of Buddhism with 60,000 followers. It lead to mass conversion and this was the first of its kind in the entire history.
- The idol of Buddha placed inside the dome was made by a Thai student and he decided to donate it to Deekshabhoomi.
- A unique feature of the stupa is that the dome is completely hollow from the inside. The hollow dome above the hall is encircled by a veranda.