Read More on Amar Sagar Lake
Amar Sagar Lake is one of the oldest water bodies in Jaisalmer city. It has been an oasis in this desert region for a long time. It was also the main reservoir of Jaisalmer, which supplied the whole city with water. The complex holding the lake also has the most beautiful example of Rajput architecture, the Palace of Amar Singh. It was erected by Maharawal Akhai Singh in the 17th century, as a tribute to his ancestors.
- The primary thing visitors do here is enjoy the abundance of the small temples and other buildings in the lake complex. It is an enchanting example of Rajput architecture.
- The Amar Sagar Lake is illuminated by the sun in the morning and the evening, presenting to the visitors the best sunrise.
- Boating is another activity you can do in Amar Sagar Lake. Couples arrive here for the boat ride during sunset for the best experience.
- Visit the Jain temple located on the north side of Amar Sagar Lake.
Tips for visiting
- Be careful to wear proper clothes while visiting the lake.
- Carry extra pair of clothes with you if you wish to take a dip in the lake.
- Take care of kids and your belongings and do not leave your things here and there.
- Do not throw wastes into the water or contaminate the water.
- Wear flip-flops or washable footwear, try to avoid shoes if you intend to get your legs.
Best time to visit
Rajasthan has a hot and arid climate generally. Therefore it is advised to travel to Rajasthan during the winter season, to avoid the extremely hot climate. Winter almost starts here from November and extends till February. Still, you can have the best visit from October to April. Also, you can participate in the Jaisalmer desert festival, if you visit in February.
- Bada Bagh – The Bada Bagh is a series of cenotaphs set in a garden and is located 6 kilometers away from Jaisalmer. It has the cenotaphs of all the Maharajas and other prominent family members of the Jaisalmer kingdom, of 6 centuries.
- Vyas Chhatri – It is an assemblage of golden sandstones, that stands as the epitome of Rajasthani architecture. It is also known as the city’s sunset point since it gives a bird’s eye view of Jaisalmer.
- Lodhruva- Lodhruva was the ancient capital city of the Bhatti dynasty of the twelfth century. The number of peacocks adds to the beauty of this ancient town. The significance of this place is its history and architectural remaining.
- Jaisalmer Fort- The Jaisalmer Fort near the Thar desert is not just a fort but is a city with houses, temples, shops, and restaurants. Being in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites, it stays under the category of Hill Forts of India.
- Tazia Tower- Tazia Tower is situated in the beautiful Badal Palace Complex and is a five-storey tower in Jaisalmer.
Nearby market/ shopping places
- Pansari Bazaar is a cultural market in Jaisalmer for clothes, fancy items, bedsheets, and more.
- Desert Handicrafts Emporium is the best embroidery store in Jaisalmer. It sells handicrafts material, silk bed sheets, jewelry, carpet, paintings, leather items, antique embroidery, and more.
- Hotel Garh Jaisal Haveli Jaisalmer is a heritage hotel near Queen Palace Street in Jaisalmer. It has a beautiful view of the Jaisalmer Fort and Golden City view. The food served is also wholesome.
- Hotel Rang Mahal is a heritage resort in Sam Road Jaisalmer 2 km from Amar Sagar Lake. It has a swimming pool, gym, delicious breakfast, space for kids, and roof to roam.
- Gorbandh Palace is a resort with swimming pool amenities in Jaisalmer just 2.4 kilometers away from Amar Sagar Lake.
- Hotel Marina Mahal is a budget-friendly heritage hotel in Jaisalmer, 3 kilometers away from Amar Sagar Lake.
- Hotel Pleasant Haveli is a budget-friendly top-rated hotel in Jaisalmer which is 4.2 kilometers away from Amar Sagar Lake.