Read More on Jaisalmer War Museum
An Army Officer, Lieutenant General Bobby Matthews was behind the idea to establish a war museum to exhibit the military history of India, its war experiences, and their sacrifices. Since Jaisalmer has a rich army tradition and has also witnessed various wars in its history, it was chosen to establish the war museum. In 2015 August, Lieutenant General Ashok Singh, the General Officer Commanding in Chief of Southern Command presented the Jaisalmer War Museum to the nation.
The Jaisalmer War Museum Architecture is a Military style of design. At the Jaisalmer Combat Museum, there are a lot of exhibits and displays that effectively illustrate the distinctions of our war heroes. The Hunger aircraft, which was successful in taking down enemy tanks in the war in opposition to Pakistan, is one of the main attractions of the place. The two display halls, Laungewale Hall and Military Hall depict photos of the great militants' diverse talents and strategies utilized to win several conflicts.
The audiovisual chamber also tells the history of India's war martyrs and their achievements to the country. The museum also has fighter jets, firearms, and various weaponry and equipment utilized by the military on exhibit.
- Watch and learn about the Army's history and our war heroes.
- If you are an Army aspirant or a history buff take a closer observation at the museum.
- You can walk around the museum and learn about the Army set up which is different from the normal public setup.
- The exhibits of the Longewala War (1971) can be seen at the Longewala Hall of the museum.
Tips for visiting
- Observe the museum exhibits, but do not touch any of the items.
- Behave properly and pay your tribute to the war martyrs. Any disrespectful behavior will be strictly monitored by the authority.
- Do visit the Longewal hall and the Army Hall to experience the Longewala war (1971) exhibits.
Best time to visit
Rajasthan has a hot and arid climate generally. Therefore it is advised to travel to Rajasthan during the winter season, to avoid the extremely hot climate. Winter almost starts here from November and extends till February.
- Bada Bagh
- Vyas Chhatri
- Mandir Palace
- Tazia Tower
- Jaisalmer Government Museum
Nearby market/ shopping places
- Pansari Bazaar- Pansari Bazaar is a cultural market in Jaisalmer for clothes, fancy items, bedsheets, and more.
- Desert Handicrafts- Desert Handicrafts Emporium is the best embroidery store in Jaisalmer. It sells handicrafts material, silk bed sheets, jewelry, carpet, paintings, leather items, antique embroidery, and more.
- Hotel Garh Jaisal Haveli Jaisalmer
- Hotel Rang Mahal
- Gorbandh Resort
- Hotel Marina Mahal
- Hotel Pleasant Haveli
Interesting Facts About Jaisalmer War Museum
- The museum has a light and sound show at night to attract visitors.
- The museum depicts the various war fight scenes through audio and visual effects.
- The main attraction of the place is the Hunger plane which took down the Pak army aircraft and tanks.